Dentures For a Renewed Smile!
Are you looking for a solution to your missing teeth? Missing teeth can leave many feeling self – conscious. Not to mention it leaves your gums vulnerable to bacteria which can lead to gum disease. Dentures are a tried and true fix for those missing teeth, but we’re sure you have questions. We’re here to answer them.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are an affordable solution for missing teeth. There are two types of dentures:
- Complete dentures: These are used to replace teeth for your entire mouth.
- Partial dentures: These replace a series of missing teeth rather than all your teeth.
Benefits of Dentures
- Dentures can completely change the outlook of your smile. They help you regain the confidence to smile in public.
- Feeling of fatigue and sleepy during the day, easily irritable
- Dentures help preserve gum tissues and ensure they don’t deteriorate at a quicker rate.
- Dentures ensure you maintain your face and it doesn’t sag. Due to missing teeth, the muscles in your jaw and its surrounding area begin to sag. With dentures in place, the facial muscles and jaw remain healthy and don’t sag.
What is the Process of Getting Dentures?
Dentists specializing in dentures custom make them to each patient’s needs. For this, the patient is required to go for several appointments to get the dentures to fit perfectly. The process is as follows:
- Measure the jaw and make impressions of the teeth to determine the size and fit of the dentures.
- A model of the base is made first and the patient tries it on to ensure that it fits perfectly before the teeth are added. During this period, the dentist will also assess the color and shape so it matches the gums.
- The final cast is made and the porcelain teeth are added.
What Do Dentures Feel Like?
Initially, the dentures will feel odd. It may even feel loose because the gum tissues will adapt to the dentures and get used to it. Some individuals may experience irritation and soreness during the initial phase. There may also be an increased flow of saliva. This is all due to your mouth having to adapt to the dentures. It may also take some time to get used to eating with dentures. Dentists recommend that to ease into using dentures, you start by eating soft foods. Make sure to cut your food into small pieces and chew slowly. It is also recommended that you don’t eat sticky or hard food. Some individuals may have difficulty pronouncing words with their dentures in initially. All you need to do is practice and it will become second nature to speak while wearing dentures.
Is it Necessary to Use Dental Adhesive with Dentures?
There are certain conditions under which a dentist will recommend the use of a dental adhesive with dentures.
- Individuals with dry mouth, which leads to the lessening of denture adherence.
- For individuals that need additional security to ensure that the dentures don’t move too much such as musicians and public speakers.
- If the dentures become loose due to gum tissue deterioration. The adhesive may be recommended until new dentures are made.
What is the Cost of Dentures?
The cost of dentures varies depending on the type of dentures required as well as whether it is traditional or immediate. But dentures are a more affordable solution to missing teeth than its alternative, dental implants. Dental insurance plans may cover dentures. So if you have a plan, you can consult our clinics to discuss how much of the cost your plan will cover.
Finding A Denture Dentist Near You
Don’t let missing teeth ruin your smile. Find a VIPcare denture dentist near you by heading to our locations page to find a clinic near you.